We would both be wrong

The German philosopher Arthur Schoeppenhauer noted that new ideas go through three phases …

  • First, they are Ridiculed
  • Then, they are Violently Opposed
  • Eventually, they serve as self evident

In 1920, WT Grant saw the potential for putting many small traders under one roof, so opening the first ‘department’ store

His idea was so heavily ridiculed that for 10 years, between 1920 & 1931, department stores were so opposed they were virtually outlawed

In 1931 the Fair Trade laws were passed & the department store moved to serving as self evidently a good idea

In 1959 Franchising fell 11 votes short in the US congress to being forbidden as a pyramid scheme

It is now an $800 BILLION sector

Only 3% will involve themselves at stages 1 & 2 – the other 97% wait until the opportunity is ‘self evident’ – by which time your experience tells you the real opportunity has passed

“The opportunity of a lifetime must be seized within the lifetime of the opportunity”

Lets say you had money to invest & a few years ago a friend who knew this called you up in a breathless tizzy …

“Whoa – I’ve just had this terrific idea … OK Three turtles get flushed down a khazi & along with a rat who knows kung fu they’re exposed to radio active slime & they grow to human size & fight crime from the sewers & eat nothing but pizza & call themselves ninjas even though they’ve got the disguise completely wrong & it’s going to be great its going to explode they will be on lunch boxes & named after famous painters and … all I need is like £20k & I’ll give you half … it’s gonna be huge … you IN?”

What would you have said?

Mmmmm so would I!

… & we would BOTH have been wrong

My point here?

Just because a proposition sounds wacky to you, you old fart, doesn’t mean it won’t appeal to kids

I mean, Teletubbies? Really?

To save this post as a PDF - Click Here

Please note: I reserve the right to delete comments that are offensive or off-topic.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *